Applications are invited to apply for the position of Technology Researcher focusing on the Learning Technologies sector. This is a senior, highly collaborative role, working in a multi-disciplinary team in a dynamic environment.
Projects range across a diverse set of sectors and include developing innovative next-generation learning technology prototypes, consulting on commissioned research projects and working on smaller state of the art reports. The successful candidate will provide thought leadership and high levels of technical understanding to research and innovation projects, and evaluate a diverse range of solution types in the Learning Technologies domain. You will be technology agnostic and be able to understand and incorporate a wide range of existing and new technologies into your solutions. This role is best suited to someone who is passionate, curious, and questioning about ongoing learning technology research.
As part of this role you will also be joining an existing team working on an EU funded collaborative research project. As this project moves from the development phase to the trial and evaluation phase you will have the opportunity to develop a strong technical understanding of the developed solution. You will also work closely with the development team to support the trialling and evaluation of the solution.
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
Reporting to the Principal Investigator the Tech Lead will:
- Bring new ideas and innovative solutions to real world industry challenges
- Work collaboratively with the Business Development team to assess industry requirements and scope engagements with industry on applied research projects
- Support the PI and research group in the design, development and implementation of the applied research programme
- Research technology solutions to learning Technology problems in a number of areas of interest, including: Machine and deep learning, Personalisation, Interoperability, Natural Language Processing, Recommender Systems, Semantics
- Provide technical and development support on applied and commissioned research projects
- Contribute to the identification of external funding opportunities and assist in the writing of grant proposal
- Share research results with industry members and the wider ecosystem through reports, presentations, etc
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders including academic and industry partners/collaborators as appropriate
- Participate in Learnovate Centre activities, such as conferences, panel discussion, industry showcases and annual reviews
- Produce top-quality journal and conference publications
- Produce top-quality technical documentation
- Be a part of a fast-paced, dynamic team with a willingness to take on new tasks and learn new skills
- Work collaboratively with the Learning Science, UX and Innovation team
Candidates must have a PhD in computer science, engineering or other related fields with a minimum of 3 years research experience in a technology field (excluding PhD studies). (Essential)
Knowledge and experience
- Experience with solution design and solution architecture (essential)
- 3+ year’s technical experience in an academic or industry R&D setting (essential)
- Proven track record in the development of system architectures and systems integration (essential)
- Experience in coordinating and or leading development resources within projects (essential)
- Demonstrable experience with research grant funding proposals (essential)
- Experience of multi-stakeholder environments; for example EU funded projects (desirable)
- Experience in statistical analysis of data (desirable)
- Experience with the development of eLearning software and/or knowledge of the learning theories unpinning modern approaches to eLearning (desirable)
- Client facing experience (desirable)
- System development and integration experience.
- Familiarity with other technologies such as Java or similar OO languages, Python, SQL and NoSQL databases , Cloud computing, SOA and mobile app or web development an advantage
- Familiarity with containerisation (Docker), build pipelines (Jenkins), version control (git and gitlab) and Linux an advantage
Skills and competencies
- A proactive attitude and ability to work both independently and in collaboration with our cross-functional team (learning scientists, UIUX experts, technologists)
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Demonstrable on-going motivation to learn and apply new technologies, develop new solutions
- Superior report writing skills, with a proven ability to engage technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Demonstrable adaptability to respond to stakeholder needs
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
Desirable (i.e. the following would be advantageous)
- Experience with innovation methodologies (Design Thinking, Jobs to be Done, Lean Start-Up etc)
- Collaboration with Industry
- Commercialisation of Research
Application Information – closing date , noon, Friday July 30th
In order to assist the selection process, candidates should submit a curriculum vitae AND a 1 page cover letter to email@example.com with the title ‘job application’ in the email subject field.
Your cover letter should address
- 3+ year’s technical experience in an academic or industry R&D setting. Applicants should clearly address this experience and how they obtained their knowledge in their application
- Applicants should provide examples of working directly with stakeholders to identify innovative technical solutions and their role in these projects
Please note: Candidates who do not address the application requirements above in their cover letter will not be considered at the shortlist stage.
Candidates should note that the interview process for this appointment may include the delivery of a presentation and may include a test of practical skills. Interviews will be conducted via Zoom while public health guidelines are in place due to Covid19.
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with ‘job application’ in the title
CLOSING DATE: noon , Friday July 30th. Interviews week of Aug 9th
Please direct general enquiries on this role to email@example.com