Applications are invited to apply for the position of Technology Researcher focusing on the Learning Technologies sector. This is a senior, highly collaborative role, working in a multi-disciplinary team in a dynamic environment. Projects range across a diverse set of sectors and include developing innovative next-generation learning technology prototypes, and consulting on commissioned research projects and working on smaller state of the art reports. The successful candidate will provide thought leadership and high levels of technical understanding to research and innovation projects, and evaluate a diverse range of solution types in the edTech domain. You will be technology agnostic and be able to understand and incorporate a wide range of existing and new technologies into your solutions. This role is best suited to someone who is passionate, curious, and questioning about ongoing learning technology research.
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
Reporting to the Principal Investigator, you will:
- Bring new ideas and innovative solutions to real world industry challenges
- Work collaboratively with the Business Development team to assess industry requirements to provide applied research solutions
- Support the PI and research group in the design, development and implementation of the applied research programme
- Research technology solutions to edTech problems in a number of areas of interest, including: Machine and deep learning, Personalisation, Interoperability, Natural Language Processing
- Provide technical and development support on applied and commissioned research projects
- Contribute to the development of proposals
- Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research in which he/she is engaged to the wider edTech community
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders including academic and industry partners/collaborators as appropriate
- Participate in Learnovate Centre activities, such as industry showcases and annual reviews
- Produce top-quality technical documentation
- Be a part of a fast-paced, dynamic team with a willingness to take on new tasks and learn new skills
- Work collaboratively with the Learning Science, UX and Innovation teams
Candidates must have a Masters in computer science, statistics or related fields or equivalent industry experience and at least 5 years applied experience.
Knowledge & Experience (essential and desirable)
- Experience with solution design and solution architecture, preferably in the field of digital education technologies (essential)
- Minimum of five year’s technical development experience in a research or relevant industry setting (essential)
- Proven track record in the development of system architectures and systems integration (essential)
- Experience in coordinating and or leading development resources within projects (essential)
- Experience in statistical analysis of data (desirable)
- Experience of multi-stakeholder environments (desirable)
- Experience with the development of eLearning software and/or knowledge of the learning theories unpinning modern approaches to eLearning (desirable)
- Client facing experience (desirable)
Skills and Competencies:
- A proactive attitude and ability to work both independently and in collaboration with our cross-functional team (learning scientists, UIUX experts, technologists)
- Excellent presentation skills and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable on-going motivation to learn about new technologies, develop new products and pursue technical developments
- Superior report writing skills, with a proven ability to engage technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design
- Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines
- Demonstrable adaptability to respond to stakeholder needs
- Experience in releasing code to live production environments
- Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
Desirable (i.e. the following would be advantageous)
- Experience with innovation methodologies (Design Thinking, Jobs to be Done, Lean Start-Up etc)
- Collaboration with Industry
- Commercialisation of Research
In order to assist the selection process, candidates should submit a curriculum vitae AND a 1 page cover letter. Your cover letter should address
- 5 year’s applied technical experience. Applicants should clearly address this experience and how they obtained their knowledge in their application
- Applicants should provide examples of working directly with clients to identify innovative technical solutions and their role in these projects
Please note: Candidates who do not address the application requirements above in their cover letter will not be considered at the shortlist stage.
Candidates should note that the interview process for this appointment may include the delivery of a presentation and may include a test of practical skills.
Please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com, with ‘application for the post of Senior technical solution design specialist – Industry candidates’ in the title.
Learnovate is one of Europe’s leading research and innovation centres in learning technologies. An industry-led technology centre funded by Enterprise Ireland, Learnovate connects world-class academic research with entrepreneurs at the leading edge of the global learning technologies sector. Our research fuses expertise in technology, the learning sciences, product design, user experience and strategic innovation to drive commercial success for our industry partners.
The aim of Learnovate is to maximise the growth potential of individual companies working in the EdTech and e-learning sector and enhance Ireland’s competitiveness as a global leader for learning technology innovation.
Learnovate’s industry-led collaborative research programme develops and exploits breakthrough learning technologies for the collective benefit of Ireland’s learning technologies sector.
The Centre is hosted by Trinity College, Dublin located in the Grand Canal Dock.